Baofeng radios are very popular world wide. A question that comes up a lot is:
How far can my Baofeng radio reach?
The answer depends on various factors:
- Height above ground
- Is a repeater being used?
- How efficient is the antenna?
- Propagation environment – how dense is it?
Use this calculator to determine the distance that your radio can transmit.
How to use the Range Calculator
Enter the following:
- Height of your radio
- Height of a repeater (leave it at zero if there are none)
- Operating environment
As an example, a Baofeng radio operating indoors with a height of 5 feet will have a maximum range of only 1 mile.
How to improve the distance of your Baofeng Radio
Here are a few tips on how to increase the communication range of your radio:
- Make sure your batteries are charged. The electronics in a radio (in particular the transmitter and receiver) will operate at their best when the batteries are healthy and charged
- Use a better antenna
- Increase your height above ground – in general the higher you are the better the propagation
- Operate in an interference and obstruction free zone. This is probably the most difficult to achieve. It’s hard to know what radios are operating near you. As a result you cannot really control the amount of RF interference. And in general the higher the interference, the lower the range. As well, you cannot move obstructions. However you can for instance move outdoors to improve range.
What is the range of other Baofeng radios?
The Baofeng UV-5R transmits a power of 4 Watts. If you are using another Baofeng radio like the UV-82HP or the BF-F8HP which are able to transmit at 8 Watt, your maximum range will be doubled outdoors or in an open field.