The Kwikset Halo lock, when first installed, pairs itself to your phone or connecting device through Bluetooth. After pairing, it connects to the app installed on your device over Wi-Fi. Operations such as locking, unlocking, password changes, etc., work over Wi-Fi.
This post is written for people trying to solve connectivity problems between the Kwikset Halo and Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
Whether your Kwikset Halo is not pairing with the Bluetooth or not connecting with the Wi-Fi, try the basic solutions mentioned below first. These are quick to try and in many situations solves the problem.
Kwikset Halo Lock Not Connecting to Bluetooth or Wi-Fi – Basic Solutions
Solution 1: Perform a Factory Reset
Performing a factory reset is always a good solution whenever your lock has a pairing or connection problem. To perform Kwikset Halo smart lock factory reset:
- Remove the back plate of your lock. You will see an ‘A’ button, a ‘B’ button, and a black program button.
- Pull the batteries out from the container with the help of the little handle. Make sure there is no problem with the batteries hindering the pairing or connection.
- Press the program button, and put the batteries back in a while, keeping it pressed down.
- Keep pressing the program button and wait for 30 seconds until you hear a beep.
- When you hear a beep, take your thumb off the program button.
- Watch the light flash red 2-3 times and then click the program button again.
- The flashing light will now turn red and green, which means you did it correctly.
- Now the deadbolt will move back and forth, which means it will re-hand.
- After re-handing is done, you will hear a long beep and see a green light that completes the process.
- Note that reading may be delayed for 5 to 15 seconds.
Solution 2: Perform a System Reset
For those who don’t know, system reset, unlike the factory reset, deletes just the security codes of the lock and not the entire codes and connection settings. To perform the Kwikset Halo smart lock system reset:
- Remove the backplate of the lock.
- Click the ‘A’ button on your Kwikset Halo lock 10 times.
- You will hear a beep, and there will be a flashing red light will be right below the program button. That means your lock is put into reset mode.
- Now click the black program button to complete the process. You will hear a beep again, and now the flashing light will be red and green alternatively.
- You might have to perform these steps a couple of times unless the automatic handing of the lock happens.
- After the rehanding, you will hear a long beep and a green light afterward. That means the system reset is done, and the codes are deleted from your lock.
- If you see a red light after reading, the system reset didn’t happen correctly, and you might want to repeat the process.
Let’s move on to the more specific solutions now.
Kwikset Halo Smart Lock Not Pairing with Bluetooth – Solutions
If your Kwikset Halo cannot pair via Bluetooth with your device, your device might not be compatible with the Kwikset App. Kwikset App is compatible with both iPhone and Android phones. For iOS, Kwikset Halo App is compatible with iPhone 6 or later with iOS 12 or higher.
For Android, Kwikset App is compatible with the phones that support Bluetooth 4.2 and higher and running Android OS 8.0 or higher.
Move your phone closer to the Kwikset
Doing this increases the RSSI of Bluetooth signals. It also increases the Signal-to-noise ratio and reduces the effect of interference. We discussed this in our article on Ring.
Forget the Kwikset Bluetooth From Your Device
Sometimes the Bluetooth would stop working/pairing for no good reason. In that case, it is good to forget the Kwikset Bluetooth from your device and pair it again. To forget the Kwikset app from your Android:
- Go to Setting >> Bluetooth >> Device Options
- Make sure the Bluetooth is turned ON
- Select the Kwikset App and click remove the device to complete the action.
To forget the Kwikset App from your iPhone
- Go to Settings >> Bluetooth.
- Ensure the Bluetooth is ON, and you can see the list of paired devices.
- Select Kwikset App and click on the info icon in front of it.
- Tap forget this device to complete the procedure.
Ensure the Bluetooth Sharing is On
Sometimes users encounter the Kwikset Halo Bluetooth pairing problem even when the Bluetooth is on. In that case, you need to check if the Bluetooth sharing for Kwikset App is on or not? To turn Bluetooth sharing on for Android.
- Turn on the Bluetooth and the location of your phone
- Go to Settings >> Google >> Device & Sharing >> Nearby Devices
- Turn Use Nearby Share On.
- Go to Settings> Privacy>> Bluetooth Sharing.
- Ensure that the sharing is turned on for Kwikset App.
Kwikset Halo Smart Lock Not Connecting with Wi-Fi : Solutions
Solution 1-Reset the Wifi
To reset the Kwikset Halo Smart Lock Wifi:
- Remove the backplate of the lock and press the A button for 10 seconds.
- You will hear a beep. Continue to hold the A button until you see the maroon light flashing.
- Release the A button and press the program button to complete the procedure.
- If you see a green light flashing, the process was done correctly. Otherwise, repeat the steps.
- Once the wifi is reset, you can reconnect it for successful operation.
Solution 2- Reset the Network
When a network reset is performed, the Wifi and Bluetooth settings are removed from the lock. To perform Kwikset Halo smart lock network reset:
- Remove the backplate and press and hold the ‘A’ button for 10 seconds unless you hear a short beep and amber flashing light.
- Keep holding the A button, and you will hear another short beep accompanied by blue light.
- Release the A button to see a blinking amber light that indicates that the lock is in-network reset mode.
- Within 10 seconds of releasing the A button, press and release the program button to reset the network.
- You will hear a long beep and green light indicating the successful operation.
- If you see a red light and 5 short beeps, it indicates the network reset procedure needs to be performed again.
We have provided general and specific solutions to the Kwikset Halo Smart Lock not connecting with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi problems. If none of the above solutions work, something is wrong with the lock hardware or software that might need a lock return to the manufacturer and repair or exchange.